Dramaturgical Research on the Ankh, Isis, and Cleopatra


Antony and Cleopatra offered myriad opportunities for dramaturgical research. The movement coach for the production, Dr. Jennifer Martin, Hall Family Foundation Professor of Theatre, wanted to include some scenes using an ankh in the production. To that end, she requested that I research how the ankh should be held, its significance, and if there were a connection between the ankh and the cult worship of Isis in Cleopatra's time. I found a lot of great and surprising information, and put over 150 images into a slideshow for easy viewing. 

At first, after viewing and analyzing hundreds of different period artistic representations of the ankh, I had a very difficult time determining if there were any standard practices for how it should be held. In the end, I found my answer: it can be held in many different ways, but it is always shown with the looped end pointing upwards.

The Ankh, Isis, and Cleopatra
Jennifer Martin and I in the park on opening night.