"King Richard III" at the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival, 15 June-3 July 2010, directed by Sidonie Garrett



In my fourth summer working with the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival, I was the dramaturg for King Richard III, directed by Sidonie Garrett. Bruce Roach, the very talented actor who played the lead in the production, is shown above.

Although I had taught the play more than once in an undergraduate Shakespeare class, this was my first history play in production, so I was very excited about the opportunity to work on it! In addition to attending rehearsals and writing the program essay, I also introduced a screening of the Al Pacino documentary film Looking for Richard one week before our first preview performance.

The following week, on the day before we had our first preview, I gave a SPARK series lecture at the Kansas City Public Library that provided a historical background to the Wars of the Roses and a stage history of great Richards and notable productions.Part of my dramaturgical research during rehearsals involved an attempt to illuminate Richard's reference to "French nods" in 1.3.47-49:

     Because I cannot flatter and speak fair,
     Smile in men's faces, smooth, deceive and cog,
     Duck with French nods and apish courtesy,
     I must be held a rancorous enemy.